Hey there thank you for visiting my website. Today we will review Pu-erh Tea what it is and where you should buy it from.
I feel that you need to know more about this product than just where to buy it from. So I will also be giving you information on the following topics.
I will go down in order.
- What Pu-erh Tea is
- Where Was Pu-erh Tea Originated
- How Pu-erh Tea Is Processed
- How Drinking Pu-erh Tea Benefits You
- What Pu-erh Tea Taste Like
- What Does Pu-erh Tea Look Like
- How To Prepare Pu-erh Tea
- How Much Pu-erh Tea You Should Drink
- Where To Buy Pu-erh Tea From
So it will be a very informative post. Let’s get going.
What Is Pu-erh Tea?
Well, it is a tea of course. So it is not much science or thinking involved to come up with that conclusion. It is still good to insure it, though. So everyone is on the same page.
Where Was Pu-erh Tea Originated?
It was originated in China. Just like most great teas. Green Tea, White Tea, Raspberry Tea and Oolong Tea come to mind. Just saying if you ever visit China. You will be consuming a lot of tea. That is a good thing.
Tea is very good for the body. Not Brisk’s or Arizona’s. You can throw all fast foods restaurants teas out the window as well. All that is loaded with sugar and will damage your health/teeth way faster than it would help it.
It has a history but not as long as green tea. It is said to have a history dating back 700-800 years. That is still an extremely long time ago. But it is child’s play compared to the longevity of green tea/apple cider vinegar. They have track records stretching back as far as 400 B.C. This totals up to be around 2,410 years ago. What were you doing around that time?
How Pu-erh Tea Is Processed
It is generally made with two steps. First, all the leaves have to be roughly processed into maocha to stop oxidation. Then it may be further processed by fermentation or directly packaged. The process followed to make raw Pu-erh Tea is quite lengthy.
The right leaves must be plucked. Preferably the tender ones. They are then handled very carefully to prevent any damage or unwanted oxidation. It is really up to the processor whether they wilt/wither the leaves after they pick them. In order to dry the leaves.
They will be left in the sun spread out. Which is where weather permitting or ventilated space to wilt (of a plant, leaf, or flower) become limp through heat, loss of water, or disease) will take place.
Also to remove some of the water content in them. If it is a cloudy or rainy day. The leaves will be slightly heated. This minor change in the processing method. Will affect the quality of the tea. Resulting in something that looks like this.
How Drinking Pu-erh Tea Benefits You
There are many reasons why you should consider haveing a cup of Pu-erh tea quite often. I will name a few here.
- It lowers cholesterol studies have shown that Pu-erh tea has microbial aging ingredients in it. Which result in small amounts of lovastatin, a natural statin. In the synthetic form, lovastatin is normally used to treat high cholesterol. There have also been studies showing where Pu-erh Tea has dropped cholesterol levels by nearly 100 points.
- It is a great detoxer for the body. Pu-erh tea is good for blood cleansing and digestion. All that acid and other free radicals will be out of your system in no time if you are drinking this.
- Helps you digest food better. Your stomach and intestines break down food through a combination of acids and healthy bacteria. The micro-organisms that are in Pu-erh tea have shown to increase the healthy bacterial flora in the stomach and intestines. Which will aid in the digestion of foods. It is very common to have a glass or cup of Pu-erh tea after a meal.
- Aids In weight loss studies have shown that Pu-erh tea suppresses the fatty acid synthesis substantially. That means it can really block your body from producing fat. Which is what you want. If you are trying to lose weight. Studies have also shown that Pu-erh tea is clinically proven to enhance cellular levels of hormone-sensitive lipase. Which effectively blocks visceral fat accumulation.
- Reduces stress and helps with sleep. Even though it has caffeine in it. Pu-erh tea can assist you with sleep. The key micro-organisms and Phytochemicals. Pu-erh tea contains GABA and theanine and has shown to reduce stress levels and increase the production of natural melatonin in the brain, resulting in decreased stress, stabilized mood and improved sleep patterns.
- Could possibly prevent illness. Like most teas, Pu-erh tea has been shown to contain a lot of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Antioxidants are natural Phytochemicals that help your body fight off free radical molecules and prevent diseases.
What Does Pu-erh Tea Taste Like?
This really all depends on how you brew or steep your tea. The longer or more times you do it. The better the taste will become. But if you do it only once or twice. The flavor will be very light and you will taste the water more than you do the tea.
I do steep mine at least 5 times. It has a more authoritative taste to me. I know now that I am drinking Pu-erh tea and getting the benefits from it in full force. Sometimes I will get the urge to place a teaspoon of organic honey in the cup along with the tea.
Because the taste can become plain and dull if that makes any sense to you. Some may like the taste the way it is. But I have a sweet tooth and I love to add some kick to my drinks when I can.
What Does Pu-erh Tea Look Like?
I will say that it looks kind of weird before you get to that image above. It looks almost like a brain of a zombie or something. It has a very distinctive smell to it as well. Nothing that will make you cringe. But if you walk into a room you will notice it if it’s out of the wrapper/box. It feels like hay or a ball of grass.
Looks quite odd, doesn’t it? But that right there is Pu-erh tea. It’s great stuff. Don’t just a book by its cover. Well, in this case, it will don’t judge a tea by its cover.
How To Prepare Pu-erh Tea
You will first want to separate a well-sized portion of the compressed tea for brewing. This can be done by flaking off pieces of the cake or by steaming the entire cake until it is soft from heat and hydration. You can use a Pu-erh knife, which looks like a letter opener to me, it can be used to pry large horizontal flakes of tea off the cake to minimize leaf breakage.
Smaller ones can be steamed until they can be rubbed apart with your fingers and then dried. Either way, vertical sampling should be obtained. Since the quality of the leaves in a cake usually, vary between the surface and the center.
Optimum temperatures are generally regarded to be around 95 degrees C for a lower quality of Pu-erh tea. You should lower it down to about 80 or 85 degrees C.
You then should steep for 10 to 30 seconds. With the first few infusions, increasing to 3 to 10 minutes in the last infusions. The prolonged steeping sometimes used in the west can produce dark, bitter, and unpleasant brews.
The quality of the tea can be determined through inspecting the dried leaves, the tea liquor, or the spent tea leaves. The true quality of Pu-erh tea will only be revealed once the tea is brewed and tasted. This is not always the case, though. There are a few general indicators of quality. Like the following.
- Dried Tea – There should be a lack of twigs, extraneous matter, and white or dark mold spots on the surface of the compressed Pu-erh tea.
- Liquor – The tea liquor of both raw and ripe Pu-erh tea. Should never appear cloudy.
- Spent Tea – Whole leaves and leaf bud systems should be easily seen and picked out of the wet spent tea, with a limited amount of broken fragments.
- Aged – Pu-erh aged tea should never smell moldy, musty, or strongly fungal, though some Pu-erh tea drinkers don’t mind these odors offensive. But somewhat enjoyable.
- Young – The ideal liquors should be aromatic with a light but distinct odors of camphor, rich herbal notes like Chinese medicine, fragrance floral notes, hints of dried fruit aromas such as preserved plums, and should exhibit only some grassy notes like of fresh sencha.
How Much Pu-erh Tea Should You Drink?
This is my opinion only. But I do it at least three times a week. I will inform you that this is not the only tea I drink, though. I have three other teas I’m squeezing in that time frame as well. So I’m getting a truckload of health benefits from teas all week, month, year long.
You do not have to do it how I do. This is just something that grew on me over time. I would discover a new tea and wouldn’t let the other go. So I keep them all. I love it. It makes me feel like a superhero after I finish each cup.
If you are only drinking this one tea alone. I would suggest you ramp up your intake. Then again it depends on your reason for drinking it. If you are doing it because you like tea.
Then you can be a little less aggressive with your consumption. If you are doing it to get better-looking sleep or lose weight. I will say that you need to be on this heavy and getting some in your system every chance you can.
Where To Buy Pu-erh Tea
My most trusted source to buy Pu-erh tea is none other than amazon.
They have them packaged individually and wholesale.
You have nothing to fear when ordering from amazon. Getting it anywhere else online will be kind of risky. In terms of genuine authentic products. I’m sure you could find a local place in your town that sells Pu-erh tea as well.
But be sure to check the seller’s feedback and shipping policy before placing an order. If you are ordering from Amazon directly. Then you have nothing to worry about.
They always come through. I say check the seller’s feedback because that could tell you some valuable information about them and how the run their business.
If you see a seller and he has a lot of negative or neutral feedbacks. Don’t even waste your time with them. I say check the shipping policy.
Because in the past I have been burned many times thinking I was getting a good deal. I once bought a book from a seller on eBay. I did not check their shipping policy. I figured I didn’t have to.
I mean who does that anyway. That was how I thought at the time. I did not receive my book till sometime in the middle of the following month.
The seller had that stated clearly in their shipping policy. So it was nothing I could do. But smack my own head. I learned from that. I now read a seller whole profile before I purchase anything from them.
That’s it. You should be well informed on Pu-erh tea and where to buy it from. You have also learned much more about the tea than you intended to I’m sure. But I told you and give you a list of what I had in store for you.
So I hope this helped you and convinces you to start drinking Pu-erh tea. If you don’t have one already. It will be best to invest in a tea strainer. It will come in handy once you get your Pu-erh tea.
I will say it again. If you are drinking this tea to lose weight. In order for it to work correctly. You must eat right and exercise. If not you will be drinking and not seeing the results you desire.
You can not blame the tea for that. That is all on you. So if you decide to purchase Pu-erh tea for that reason. Keep in mind of what else it takes to make that happen.
If you are ready to get your very own bag of Pu-erh Tea today. You do not want to miss out on this great deal.